Join the JFREJ Staff!
JFREJ is seeking a skilled and passionate event planner to coordinate the 2014 Rabbi Marshall T. Meyer Risk Taker Awards alongside the volunteer event committee. The Meyer Awards are JFREJ’s signature fundraising and community event, to be held in late November/early December. The event planner will be primarily responsible for supporting the planning team, coordinating with staff and volunteers working on the event, managing organizational outreach and fundraising, planning logistics, and coordinating with vendors.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with Executive Director, Director of Development and planning committee to coordinate all logistics, roles, and tasks related to the event
- Work with Executive Director, Director of Development and planning committee on presenters, awardees, performers and script for event
- Bi-weekly planning meetings/calls with Planning Committee
- Manage ad recruitment and development of content, photos and ads for program book
- Support Director of Development, staff and volunteer team in recruitment of donors to the Host Committee
- Work with Director of Development on planning for small Host Committee Pre-Celebration
- Coordinate with designers on invites and program book
- Recruit and plan 2 volunteer mailings and (at least) 3 volunteer phone banks leading up to the event
- Recruit and coordinate volunteers for event itself
- Strong commitment to JFREJ’s mission
- Previous experience on event planning and coordination
- Experience coordinating volunteers and managing active volunteer teams
- Hard working and results oriented with strong organizational skill and an eye for detail
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively, multi-task, set priorities and meet required deadlines
- Self-motivated and resourceful
- Outstanding written and communication skills
- Creative and resourceful, with good judgment and strong problem-solving skills
- Comfortable with database management, ability to create and run reports, manage and interpret data
- Comfortable using social media tools to support fundraising and event planning
- Occasional evening and weekend work required
Salary and hours: This is a contract position for $4,000, no benefits included. We expect that the time will be 5-10 hours a week through early December, with fewer hours at first and then more in the few weeks before the event itself. There is a strong team working on this event (staff, board and volunteers); this position is primarily coordinating amongst that team and holding primary responsibilities for logistics, volunteers, organizational outreach, and materials.
To apply: Please email a resume and cover letter, outlining how your skills, experience, and interests meet the qualifications of the position to Hiring@jfrej.org, subject line “Meyer Coordinator Application.” Applications will be accepted until August 15th.
JFREJ is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Sephardic and Mizrahi Jews, people of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, transgender, transsexual, and intersex people, lesbian, gay, queer, and bisexual people, and people who have lived in poverty are strongly encouraged to apply.
Internship Opening: Media Intern
Jews for Racial and Economic Justice is seeking a Media Intern for a 10-20 hour a week position building and developing JFREJ’s online presence and media reach. You will work with a newly-formed JFREJ Communications Committee – a team of JFREJ members excited to extend JFREJ’s political influence through social media and other media forms.
This internship is an opportunity to apply your skills in social media and writing towards building the movement for racial and economic justice in New York and beyond. It is a great learning opportunity for how to connect on-the-ground organizing with online organizing in new and creative ways. You will also gain concrete skill development from members of our Communications Committee, staff, and consultants.
• Work with the JFREJ Communications Committee to develop overall media strategy for the organization
• Help plan and implement creative media campaigns, coordinated with JFREJ’s on-the-ground campaign organizing
• Work with JFREJ campaign staff and members to develop content for social media and other media forms
• Connect with successful online organizers and learn best practices and creative models
• Update the JFREJ website with new content
• Build JFREJ’s relationships with local press outlets
• Passionate about JFREJ’s mission for economic and racial justice
• Experience using social media, including Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr
• Outstanding writing and communication skills
• Comfort tackling technical challenges
• Experience in Photoshop or similar application (not required)
• Ability to work well independently and to coordinate well with a diverse group of people
• Strong sense of accountability to co-workers, colleagues, and comrades
• Flexibility & creativity, self-motivation and resourcefulness
To apply: Please email a resume and cover letter to Hiring@jfrej.org, subject line "Media Intern"
JFREJ is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Sephardic and Mizrahi Jews, people of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, transgender, transsexual, and intersex people, lesbian, gay, queer, and bisexual people, and people who come from poor or working class backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.