Would YOU want a Kiss from a company that doesn’t have a heart?
Child, forced and trafficked labor remain widespread in the West African cocoa fields, source of 70% of the world’s cocoa. Hershey has failed to obtain third party certification, such as Fair Trade certification, showing that its cocoa supply chain is free of these abuses.*
Here are five fun and easy ways to take action, from National Global Human Trafficking Awareness Day on January 11th through Valentine’s Day….presented by Global Exchange and our campaign partners:
- Make valentines (or color in the online pdf version on our website) asking Hershey CEO David West to start sourcing Fair Trade Certified cocoa. (Hey, how often do you get a chance to pull out your colored markers, glitter, or construction paper?) It’s even more fun with a group of friends, at a Valentine’s Day party or at a Dark Side of Chocolate Screening! Or set up a table at your school, place of worship, Fair Trade store, or other public gathering place. We’ll email you a COUPON for 10% off your purchase at any Global Exchange store if you also scan your valentine and email it to us to be posted online. Please mail/email all valentines by Friday, February 18. Visit www.globalexchange.org/campaigns/fairtrade/cocoa/raisethebarhershey.html for more details.
- Host a Dark Side of Chocolate Screening, during our second National Week of Action to show the compelling new documentary about the continued use of child labor and trafficking in the cocoa industry! Order a copy for just the price of replication/postage at www.globalexchange.org/campaigns/fairtrade/cocoa/raisethebarhershey.html
- Know educators or kids? WIN Fair Trade prizes by telling educators (of any kind – even youth group leaders!) about Global Exchange’s Fair Trade curriculum to explain the issues of child labor in the cocoa industry, before making valentines for Hershey. Educators can win prizes by teaching the curriculum, too. Visit www.globalexchange.org/campaigns/fairtrade/cocoa/ValentinesDay.html
- Buy Fair Trade chocolate for Valentine’s Day! Which is the fairest chocolate of them all? Not Hershey, but there are plenty of delicious Fair Trade certified chocolates for your sweetie this Valentine’s Day! Check out Global Exchange’s Fair Trade stores’ Valentine’s Day shop (www.globalexchangestore.org/category-s/267.htm) and chocolates (http://www.globalexchangestore.org/SearchResults.asp).
- A chocolate bar as our gift to you! Your support makes it possible to hold Hershey accountable. We’ll send you a delicious Fair Trade chocolate bar if you make a one-time donation of $50 or more or start monthly contributions of $10 or more at www.globalexchange.org/donatefairtrade.
Please forward this email to everyone you know!
More information on Global Exchange’s Fair Trade Campaign at www.globalexchange.org/cocoa
*(More info on Hershey in our report at www.globalexchange.org/campaigns/fairtrade/cocoa/raisethebarhershey.html.)