Protect Our Air and Water from Dirty Drilling
Urge your Representative to support
the BREATHE and FRESHER Acts
Emerging science shows that air pollution from the oil and gas shale boom harms nearby communities and contributes to climate change. Thanks to a Clean Air Act loophole, we are powerless to control much of that pollution.
The BREATHE act, introduced by Reps Polis and Cartwright, would protect communities by requiring oil and gas drilling and fracking follow the same rules as other industries when it comes to air pollution.
Texas hospital entrance next to fracking rig!
Polis and Cartwright also introduced the FRESHER act to better protect our rivers and streams. FRESHER would close a Clean Water Act loophole that exempts oil and gas companies from managing stormwater runoff, a basic rule that every homeowner in America is required to follow.
The oil and gas industry justifies their special interest loopholes by claiming that the states are the proper place for oversight. But new research shows states annually inspect less than half of active oil and gas wells. And the same research shows that when violations are found, violators are not punished.
TAKE ACTION: Tell you Representative to put our public health before (bigger) oil and gas company profits. Tell them oil and gas companies should play by the sames rules as other industries. Urge them to support the BREATHE and FRESHER acts!
- HR 1154, BREATHE Act
- Civil society and enviro group letter in support of the BREATHE Act
- HR 1175, FRESHER Act
- Civil society and enviro group letter in support of the FRESHER Act
- Send/amend the sample letter to the right. Personalized letters have a much greater impact.
- Click "send your message" to send your letter.
- SHARE this alert with your friends and family via the subsequent page. Share via email, Facebook, Twitter and/or Google+