We can’t wait to see you in DC this Sunday to gather by the thousands and say NO to fracked gas exports at Cove Point and across the nation.
Below are the final logistics and details for Sunday. Please read through to the end and email us if you have any questions
- Rally begins at 12:30PM, and the march will end by 3:30PM.
- Meet west of the Capitol, along Third Street NW on the National Mall in Washington, DC. The rally area is bordered by Third Street NW and Madison Drive NW to the north and Jefferson Drive SW to the south. Check out the map of the rally site!
- Restrooms will be available at the Botanical Gardens located 2 minutes from the rally at 100 Maryland Avenue SW.
- We will march from here to FERC at 888 First St. NE, a one mile march.
What (color) to wear:
There will be four contingents in the march, representing the chain of impacts of fracked gas exports. If you can, wear a t-shirt in the color of the contingent you’d prefer to march with:
- No Gas Exports (red)
- No Pipelines and Compressor Stations (yellow)
- No Fracking (blue)
- Fracking=Methane=Climate Change (green)
- The nearest Metro train stops are Judiciary Square (Red line) or Federal Center SW (Blue/Orange line); you can find public transportation information here: www.wmata.com.
- For bus questions and pick up/drop off locations please contact your bus coordinator--there are still buses available from all over the Mid-Atlantic. Click here to see all the transportation options.
- For drivers, there is a parking garage at Union Station and many other places downtown.
What to bring:
- The weather is looking hot and humid for Sunday with a high in the high 80’s and a small chance of rain. Plan accordingly and bring whatever you need to beat the heat: hats, sunscreen, umbrellas, and LOTS of water!
- Don’t forget good marching shoes, water, snacks, and rain gear (just in case.)
- Your best signs and banners, drums and other instruments to make some noise!
- Your mobile phone to tweet (@FERC and @BarackObama, among others) and post photos on Facebook -- all using #stopgasexports.
We need lots of support to make this rally a success. Can you sign up to help volunteer? We have a few volunteer roles--check what works for you. Then, fill out your information and an organizer will follow up with you about the next steps.
Principles of Conduct:
By joining this rally, you agree to be nonviolent and respectful of others. If there is a conflict with someone who is not doing so, we will have marshals with the crowd to de-escalate any situation. Please do not bring any illegal drugs or weapons.
One last thing:
If you are with a local group fighting fracking, pipelines/compressor stations or LNG exports, send an email to email@example.com with your story, in 50 words or less and with a website link (deadline Friday, July 11). We are compiling these and will share all of this important information with the press in the hope that this helps your efforts.
Questions? Email Shilpa Joshi at Shilpa@chesapeakeclimate.org
See you in the streets!
The Stop Gas Exports Rally Steering Committee,
Carolyn Auwauter, Robin Broder, Linda Capato, Tracy Carluccio, Karen Feridun, Allison Fisher, Ted Glick, Drew Hudson, Whit Jones, Shilpa Joshi, Aaron Mintzes, Deb Nardone, Jill Wiener, and Emily Wurth.