Oregon Wild Wolf Rendezvous 2013
Explore the heart of Oregon's wolf country
- WHAT: Fourth Annual Oregon Wild Wolf Rendezvous supported by Mountain Rose Herbs
- WHEN: June 20 - June 23, 2013
- WHERE: Wolf Country - Wallowa County. Participants are responsible for transportation to Joseph, Oregon. Oregon Wild can help facilitate carpools.
- HOW MUCH: This members-only trip is free for Monument Level Members. You may become a member and sign up for the trip concurrently.
- SIGN UP: The 2013 trip is full. You can sign up for the waiting list by calling Marielle or Rob at 503.283.6343. Otherwise, you can sign up to be first in line for 2014 here.
- CONTACT: Inquiries can be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, but all reservations must be made by phone. 503.283.6343 (ext. 213 or 210)
Join Oregon Wild for a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to experience Eastern Oregon's wolf country while camping out in the shadow of Oregon's largest protected Wilderness.
This four-day, three-night excursion takes participants deep into the heart of Oregon's wolf territory with the hope of seeing or hearing Oregon's gray wolves. With less than 50 adult wolves known in the entire state, it’s a longshot to see them, but exciting opportunities await campers, such as workshops (in previous years we've done photography, tracking, and ecology), meetings with biologists, ranchers, and other area residents learning to live with wolves.
We’ll also enjoy scenic hikes and drives through the Zumwalt Prairie and the spectacular landscapes of Oregon’s wolf country.
The focus of this trip is learning about wolves and wolf recovery. Hikes will be of moderate strenuousness. We'll be at a high altitude and you may get a bit of a workout, but there will be no extreme climbing. If you're in good hiking shape, you'll be fine.
This trip is made possible with the generous support of Mountain Rose Herbs.
You can sign up for the waitlist by calling Marielle or Rob at 503.283.6343 (ext. 213 or 210 respectively). You can also sign up here to be first in line for 2014.
Sample (2011) itinerary
The 2013 itinerary will be similar, but is subject to change based upon confirmation and availability of speakers, weather, and the overall fitness of the group
- Arrival, welcome
- Short leg-stretching hike
- Discussion with local wildlife biologist
- Potluck dinner
- Campfire discussion of wolf recovery in Oregon
- Meeting with ODFW wolf biologist in the field
- Short hike looking for wolf sign
- Lunch in the field
- Meeting with Nez Perce elder (unlikely in 2013)
- Dinner featuring locally-raised food
- Optional evening excursion
- Zumwalt Prairie exploration
- Lunch at scenic lookout
- Meeting with ranger rider
- Dinner at local brewpub
- Optional evening excursion on Wallowa Lake
- Optional Wilderness hike with local wolf advocate
- Lunch and depart
Breakfasts, lunches, one dinner, transportation during event, access to cabin with toilet and running water, expertise, guiding, and planning.
What you are responsible for:
Transportation to Joseph, camping gear and personal items, one potluck dinner item, one dinner at local eatery, and having a great time!
How much is it?
This members-only hike is free for Monument Level Members ($500). You may become a member at the time of sign-up. You can sign up and check on your membership status by contacting Oregon Wild’s Portland office at 503.283.6343. Ask for Marielle (ext. 213) or Rob (ext. 210).
How do I sign up?
You can sign up for the waitlist by calling Oregon Wild's Portland office at 503.283.6343. Ask for Marielle (ext. 213) or Rob (ext. 210). You can also sign up here to be first in line for 2014.
E-mail inquiries may be sent to email@example.com. Please note you can not sign up by e-mail. If you are unable to contact us, please leave a voicemail.
We expect demand for the trip will exceed the number of available spots. Should this happen, slots will be filled in order of confirmation, and messages will be returned in the order they are received. A limited wait list will be created for those who want to join the trip. In previous years wait listers have made it on the trip. You can also sign up here to be first in line for 2014.
- Photos from the 2012 trip
- A participant's reaction to the 2011 trip
- 2010 trip featured on OPB Field Guide (Rendezvous starts at 23:00)
- Oregon's Wolf Country
- Hiking With Wolves
- Wolf Recovery in Oregon
Thanks to Mountain Rose Herbs for helping support Oregon Wild's wolf education efforts! Photos courtesy of Rendezvous participants and ODFW.